Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Brother in law in Boston!

 
I posted a picture on my Instagram early morning Monday.
A shout out to my brother in law running is life DREAM and his 33rd marathon!
Running the Boston Marathon!
This picture was takin before the race was even started.....
Little did we all know.......
.
.
Totally Naive to what was to come!
We all were getting Updated Texts from a program they Offer to let us know what pace he was at and how further he had to go.
We also checked on the website and followed him pretty much every step!
WE were his cheerleaders from home!
.
.
.
A friend of mine on Instagram asked if My brother in law was ok a few short time later...
I was confused as to why----???
Then the texts started flooding in...and the Instagram messages and emails!
My poor sister NOT knowing the fate of her husband.
.
.
.
We prayed.
And prayed some more.....
and waited....
 
.
.
Matt Shoemaker passed the Finish line at 4:00:58
The FIRST bomb went off at 4:09
Missing him by 8 minutes!
.
.
He is home this morning with his family, embraced by TEARS and gratitude.
We all are!
.
.
I have watched some clips and read some information on the Internet along with pictures this morning!
:(
Along with the pain and sadness i felt,  I also saw "Good"
I want to be part of that "GOOD" in the world!
I hope you all do too!!!
.
.
A lady was so kind and let him use her cell phone to call home to my sister, and offered taxi money to get back to his hotel.
As they weren't allowed to go get their bags!
 
 
I hope he doesn't mind me sharing this....
But here something that is BEAUTIFULLY written by him, he posted on FB!
Love you Matt!
So happy and thankful you were not hurt and are safe at home...
We pray for those who didn't have the same outcome!
Pray for Boston!
.
.
.
.
Matt Lives in Logan, Utah and My sister will be speaking to a Radio station today!
Matthew Shoemaker

Family and friends. Thank you for your outpouring of concern, thoughts and prayers on this difficult day. Please join me in continued prayers for the people and families affected by this tragic event.

Today was such an unexpected juxtaposition of triumph and tragedy. It was the realization of a dream, followed by a nightmarish scene. I witnessed countless stories of personal victory in the form of every runner in today's race, most of whom qualified by tough standards for race entry, and many of whom overcame personal struggles in their quest to be part of the Boston Marathon mystique. Feelings of elation soon were replaced with confusion and terror...

...This morning, in the athlete's village prior to the start of the race, the PA announcer led over 26,000 runners and hundreds of volunteers in a moment of silence for the families and victims of the recent tragic Sandy Hook school shootings in Newtown, Connecticut. Little did we know that before the end of the day, similar observances at other locations throughout the country, would be held due to our day's events, which would occur just feet from the finish line.

Up to the point of the explosions, my Boston Marathon experience was exquisite, and exceeded all that I had envisioned it would be. The organization, logistics and volunteers were amazing. The community support along the entire route was incredible, on what was like a 26.2 mile parade route, lined with cheering people the entire way! In all of my marathons, I have never felt such energy or mojo flow from the crowd right into me as I ran. You could literally give high fives the entire way if you wanted.

After taking time off from running over the Winter, my main goal today was to enjoy every moment of each step in every mile, not worry about my pace or time, and finish healthy. My stopwatch stopped working, and it had taken me 10 minutes to cross the start line, so the displayed elapsed time at key miles were not helpful.

By the last two miles, my tired legs told me to walk. Because I was not running for time, my mind said "okay." Then something told me to keep running, even though it would hasten the end of this magical day. So I told my legs it was time to go, and we ran on to the end. Although it was not a fast time, the finish came too quickly.

As I crossed the finish line and received my medal, I was suddenly overcome with emotion, and I did not fight the tears resulting from the realization of my Boston dream, after chasing it for over 10 years and 33 marathons. Dreams really can - and do come true, if you dare to dream, put in the work, and if it is God's will!

About 8 minutes after crossing the finish line, while retrieving my clothing bag a block away, I felt and then heard the first blast which shook my chest and echoed off the tall downtown buildings. I turned to see a large cloud of smoke rising from the finish area. The sights and sounds were like those seen on the evening world news - only this time was right before my eyes, and will remain etched in my memory for some time.

Moments later the second explosion sounded, followed by general confusion, which soon became chaos. In the midst of all this, families were separated. Cell phone calls were unable to connect, although texting would still mostly work, but most runners did not have their phones with them.

The designated family meeting place was no longer safe. Helicopters soon hovered over the building tops as emergency vehicles raced up and down the streets, including ambulance, after ambulance. Training which officers hoped to never need kicked in, as they sought to secure the area and prevent further harm to anyone.

Being without my wallet and cell phone, a kind lady allowed me to use hers to let Keri know that I was okay. She then offered me money for a taxi fare if I had no way to get back to my host's home due to subway closures.

As time passes, I am more shaken by the day as I begin to process the events in my mind. I find it difficult as I try to comprehend why others, including at least one child, lost their lives or were injured, and I made it past the same location only minutes before.

I harbor no ill feelings toward Boston, but rather admiration for the people, as I witnessed acts of bravery and compassion by not only emergency personnel, but also runners, volunteers and citizens on the street.

I don't know if I will run Boston again, but I plan to someday return to the city, as there is so much more I want to see and do. It is a beautiful city rich in history, and I will not allow this act of evil cowardice to cause me to live in fear, or to tarnish my appreciation for Boston or its citizens.

The events of today have certainly put many things into perspective for me. Although I have feelings of pain, anger, confusion, compassion, concern, and sadness, I am mostly filled with gratitude for life, health, family, friends and especially God.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I had chills as I read this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad all is well with your brother in law. Loved what he wrote on FB. Kind of brings it all close to home. Mimi

















    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Reading that gave me the chills all over. Your bro in law is amazing. So glad he made it past the bombs safely.

    ReplyDelete